MILLIE BROTHER SCHOLARSHIP FOR HEARING CHILDREN OF DEAF ADULTS
The Millie Brother Scholarship is an annual scholarship awarded to hearing children of deaf adults to help them pursue their education. The scholarship can be used for undergraduate or graduate study. On average two $3000 scholarship are offered annually. These are one-time scholarships, but you may apply for as many years as you are in school. First-time winners will receive preference. Applicants may compete for both scholarships, but a separate essay is required for each submission.
Applicants must be the hearing son or daughter of Deaf parents.
The scholarship application package is as follows:
1. The application form (download PDF)
The application is to be completed by the applicant.
2. Essay: 2-page double-spaced
- Describe how your experience with Deaf parents has shaped your life and your goals.
- Include a description of your future career aspirations.
- Essays will be judged for organization, content, and creativity. We encourage you to ask someone else to proofread your essay before you submit it.
3. The letter of agreement (last page of the application package) to publish your essay at the end of the application. The letter of agreement form must be faxed back to us at: 781-283-3730.
4. In addition to 1-3 above, each applicant must submit:
- an official transcript from your high school and your college or university if you are currently enrolled. Unofficial transcripts will not be accepted. Transcripts can take several weeks to process, so we encourage you request your transcripts well in advance of the April deadline.
- two sealed letters of recommendation from teachers (download PDF)
The application package is not considered submitted until you have received an email confirmation from our office.
Deadline for submission: First Friday in April
SUBMIT APPLICATIONS TO:
Dr. Jennie E. Pyers
Associate Professor of Psychology
106 Central St., SCI480
Wellesley, MA 02481
ATTN: Coda Scholarship Committee
Applications can be submitted by mail or by email.
All application packages must be completed and postmarked by the First Friday in April.
Check off list:
(included in the application form but reprinted here for your convenience)
Be sure you have completed and submitted the following:
✓ Completed application (download PDF)
✓ Two page double spaced essay
✓ Signed letter of agreement faxed if you submit the application via email
✓ Official High school/college transcripts
✓ 2 sealed letters of recommendation from teachers (download PDF)